Even though they’re Brits, the Potter entourage (and Harry ‘imself) still knows how to sass up a Thanksgiving table. So, this year, conjure up the perfect Thanksgiving dinner – fit for Hogwarts! Stir up your traditional turkey-and-fixings meal with a little something from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook – how about some Chiddingly Hotpot or Toad in the Hole with your mashed potatoes? Or an Almond-Ginger-Peach Treacle Tart alongside your pumpkin pie?
Here, three mouth-watering recipes from your favorite Harry Potter characters – perfect to add to your Thanksgiving meal.
Harry Potter Recommends: Pumpkin Pasties
To Harry‘s surprise, the snack witch on the Hogwarts Express isn’t selling Heath Bars or Doritos. For the first time in his life, Harry pulls out some money and buys as many treats as he wants – including a healthy heaping of these delectable Pumpkin Pasties. (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Chapter 6)
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening,
chilled and cut into chunks
4–6 tablespoons ice water
1 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
¼ cup granulated sugar
1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Scatter the butter and shortening over the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times until the mixture resembles coarse yellow meal, with no white powdery bits remaining.
2. Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of cold water over the mixture. Toss the mixture together with a spatula until it starts clumping together. If it’s too dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time (better too wet than too dry). Gather the dough into a ball and pat it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
3. Combine the pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out the dough 1⁄8-inch thick. Use a saucer to cut out 6-inch circles.
4. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in the center of each circle of dough. Moisten the edges with water, fold the dough over the filling, and crimp with a fork to seal the edges. Cut slits to make vents. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 30 minutes or until browned.
Makes 6 pasties
Ron Weasley Recommends: Roast Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
Ron stuffs his mouth with so many roast potatoes that no one can understand a word he’s saying. What can he do? He’s hungry, after all. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 11)
6 red potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and chopped into ½-inch cubes
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the potatoes with the oil, salt, rosemary, garlic, and black pepper, taking care to coat the potatoes thoroughly and evenly.
2. Spread the potatoes in a large, shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Roast the potatoes for about 45 minutes, until the potatoes are slightly crisp around the edges and soft in the middle. Halfway through baking, remove the pan briefly to toss the potatoes again, then replace it in the oven and continue baking. (Serves 4)
Hermione Granger Recommends: Cherry Bakewell Cake
Ah, sweet revenge! The summer that Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia put Dudley on a strict diet, Harry revels in his knowledge of the good food hidden upstairs in his room while Dudley starves in the kitchen. When Harry informs his friends of the severe diet imposed on the whole family, they loyally send him fabulous birthday cakes – and Hermione sends Harry this delicious almond cake wtith butter frosting and cherries. (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 3)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup finely ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ cup whole milk, at room temperature
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whole milk
To Finish the Cake
½ cup cherry preserves
Maraschino cherries, for decorating
Toasted sliced almonds, for decorating
Buy The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook now: here on Amazon.com!
Buy The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook e-book: here!