I’m a woman, and women are trained from birth in secret pink and purple woman-chambers to spot bullsh*t when it comes lurking. But even I, of nearly genius-level smarts (I took this IQ test once on FunQuizzes4U4FunYes.net) couldn’t spot the fake in a LOT of these entries in our new book, FACT. FACT. BULLSHIT!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris’s Soviet Roots-Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History, and Beyond! by Neil Patrick Stewart. Also, that is a long title.
Each entry lists three pieces of info – two of them are real facts, and one of them’s a lie. I’m going to throw a few of them at you and see if YOU can spot the BS. I bet you can’t though. YOU WON’T WIN!!! (Unless you’re one of those weekly bar trivia-goers. Those people know a lot of crap). Answers posted down at the bottom.
1. Our seventh president, Andrew Jackson, was known for throwing White House parties that were open to the public. At his last party, President Jackson served a 3-foot-high, 4-foot-diameter, 1,400-pound wheel of cheddar, which was consumed by guests in two hours.
2. Velveeta, Easy Cheese (in a spray can) and the square American Kraft Singles are not cheeses, and contain no real cheese at all. All three are made of soy protein concentrate.
3. A study by the British Cheese Board concluded that eating a piece of cheese before sleep produced vivid dreams. The results indicated that different types of cheese produce different types of dreams.
1. Contrary to the stories about her, Helen Keller was not born both deaf and blind.
2. Despite her handicaps, Helen Keller wrote two books in her lifetime, both autobiographies: On Your Own and The Secret of Inner Strength: My Story.
3. Helen Keller was a Tuscumbian, a Wobbly, and a Swedenborgian.
1. The original Star Wars trilogy earned a combined six Academy Awards and ten nominations, while the subsequent trilogy received three nominations and not a single Oscar. Still, the Star Wars franchise is the highest-grossing film series of all time.
2. When Darth Vader’s iconic mask was first designed, it was only supposed to appear in one small scene in the initial film.
3. In Britain’s 2001 census, 390,000 people listed “Jedi” as their religious affiliation. Inspired by this, the Church of Jediism was founded in 2008 as a legitimate religion for practitioners of “the Force” A British man narrowly avoided jail after donning a trash bag, yelling “Darth Vader!”, and assaulting the leader of the church with a metal crutch.
- – - – - – -
CHEESE!: #2 is the bullsh*t. If you want the full breakdown of each answer and why, you’ll have to pick up the book!
HELEN KELLER!: #2 is the bull*sht. If you want the full breakdown of each answer and why, you’ll have to pick up the book!
STAR WARS!: #1 is the bullsh*t. If you want the full breakdown of each answer and why, you’ll have to pick up the book!